Monday, August 31, 2009

Mother Nature B*&%h Slapped Me Yesterday

Yesterday I was convinced by my boyfriend that going on a little day hike would be a good activity for a group of us. I wasn't too enthused about the prospect of huffin' and puffin' my way up a mountainside, but he assured me I would be okay, that it was only 4 miles round trip, that it would be fun.

I'm not sure if fun is the right word.

As soon as we started up the trail at Little Si (http://www.mountsi.com/) I knew I was in trouble. Mother Nature greeted me with a super steep incline that made me stop every few minutes to catch my breath. I thought about crying and cursed myself for letting me get this out of shape.

As we made our way to a more leveled area of the trail I was able to check out my surroundings and actually appreciate the landscape around me. My lungs recovered, my legs stopped yelling at me, and I was lulled into a false sense of okayness. That is, until we hit the final leg of the trail...

The final portion Little Si requires finding your way up another, even steeper, switchback area. By now my legs were announcing that they were done for the day (You wish, stupid legs!) and my slightly negative attitude returned. Somehow though, I made it to the top.


Right now you're probably thinking, "Yay for you, Pigtailed Teacher!" The problem with that is I was only halfway done with the 4.4 mile loop...I still had to make my way back down the mountain! Oy vay.


Remember that section of super steep, switchback trail I just went up? Now I had to go down it. It's about this time that my knees started screaming at me, "We're not made to carry an extra 60 lbs of weight! We hate you, we hate you, we hate you!" My calves chime in, as did my lungs, my heart, and the toes on my left foot. Unfortunately for all of us though, there was nothing I could do, but slowly work my way back to the bottom of the mountain and promise myself (and all of my angry body parts) that I will do something about this situation I've gotten us into. See this goal and many others at: http://www.pigtailedteachergoals.blogspot.com/


All in all though, I'm glad I went. It was a beautiful day, and I was with supportive, fun people I like to be around. Next time, I just hope Mother Nature won't have to slap me so hard to knock some sense into me!

The View from the Top (and How Dirty I Got!)







2 comments:

  1. You ROCK, P.T.!! That hike is...not very nice (trying to keep my language PG-rated) Let me know if you'd be up for some more hikes this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy. I might be, but it depends on how the kiddies treat me once school starts. I'll probably need an easier hike for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete